Our Adoption Process is thorough, but it is definitely worth the time and effort. We want to make sure that our rescued pets end up in the most suitable homes. We also want you to find the perfect pet to match your family’s needs and lifestyle.
How to Adopt a Pet
1. Check out our Adoptable Pets online here.
You can also Drop by the Enhanced Adoption Center (within Midland’s PetSmart). It’s best to view them in-person as we can’t guarantee that specific pets listed online will be available by the time you visit.
2. Chat with one of our friendly Adoption Counselors. Be prepared to answer the following questions:
• Your housing situation (renting vs. owning), renters need landlord's approval and verification prior to adopting
• Number and ages of children in household
• Number and type of other pets you own
• Name and contact information of veterinarian
• Previous experience with pets
• Your activity level, lifestyle, and expectations for a new animal
4. Meet the pets. Feel free to stroll through the shelter. Our Adoption Counselors make it a point to get to know each pet, so you can ask them questions about ones that you’re interested in.
5. Complete adoption paperwork. Once you think you’ve found your pet, we’ll get you to fill in some paperwork and we’ll get the ball rolling on sending you and your new pet on your way home.
6. Enjoy your new life with your pet.
What's covered in the adoption fees:
- spay/neuter surgery
We will also provide you with PetSmart discount coupons to redeem at any PetSmart location for food, collars, leashes, beds, kennels, toys and more, so you can start making your pet feel right at home.
We’ll send your pet home with his/her beloved “blankie”, adoption blankets lovingly sewn by our amazing volunteers. The comfort and familiarity of these blankets make transitioning into a new home a little smoother. This way, the pets will have a little piece of MHC to take home with them.
Do you have any questions? Call us.
Please feel free to call our Adoption Counselors for questions or advice on adoption.